• Whitechapel RoadE1
  • Mile End RoadE3
  • Bow RoadE3
To the City
To the Olympic Park
  1.  1
  2.  6
  3.  7
  4.  8
  5.  8
  6.  
  7. 11
  8.  13
  9.  14

97-99 Bow Road

Tredegar House

Significant Building

  • Completed: 1911
  • Grade II Listed [1393147]
  • Built by: Rowland Plumbe
  • Historic period: Edwardian: 1901-1914
  • This is a significant building
  • Current Use: Other

Tredegar House was built as a training home for trainee nurses. In the late 19th century, under Matron Eva Luckes, a seven week training programme for nurses was introduced. At Tredegar House, twenty-eight ‘probationers’ were enrolled at a time. Training included learning anatomy, physiology and skills such as bandaging and how to keep reports. This and other similar schemes professionalised nursing and improved hospital standards across London. As a training home, Tredegar House included a lecture room, sitting room, dining room, a ‘practical classroom’ and 30 bedrooms. In the late 20th Century it was converted into flats by David Wood Architects.