• Whitechapel RoadE1
  • Mile End RoadE3
  • Bow RoadE3
To the City
To the Olympic Park
  1.  1
  2.  6
  3.  7
  4.  8
  5.  8
  6.  
  7. 11
  8.  13
  9.  14

45 Whitechapel Road

Black Lion House

Significant Building

  • Completed: 1987
  • Historic period: 1980-1999
  • This is a significant building
  • Current Use: Retail

The current Black Lion Yard building is situated on the site of a former narrow street by the same name, connecting Whitechapel Road and Old Montague Street. The street was named after Black Lion Inn, which is mentioned by Charles Dickens in Barnaby Rudge and was in existence by 1746. Black Lion Yard was collquially called the 'Hattton Gardens of the East End', because of the number of jewellery shops on it. Other shops included a Jewish Soup Kitchen, known for its kosher dairy provided by cows at the site until 1902.