• Whitechapel RoadE1
  • Mile End RoadE3
  • Bow RoadE3
To the City
To the Olympic Park
  1.  1
  2.  6
  3.  7
  4.  8
  5.  8
  6.  
  7. 11
  8.  13
  9.  14

375 Mile End Road

Guardian Angels

Significant Building

  • Completed: 1901/03
  • Grade II Listed [1088079]
  • Built by: F A Walters
  • Historic period: Edwardian: 1901-1914
  • This is a significant building
  • Current Use: Place of Worship

Construction of the Church was financed by Lady Mary Howard, sister of the Duke of Norfolk, in memory of her sister Lady Margaret Howard. Lady Margaret Howard had come to the East End in 1894 to do charitable works and had founded a settlement of young Catholic Women based in Tredagar Square, which later moved to Essex House on Mile End Road as St. Philip’s House. Lady Margaret financed the construction of the Guardian Angels school to the rear of the Church in 1896 and died shortly afterwards. The Howard family has remained closely associated with the Church; the Duke of Norfolk attended Christmas mass in 2011.