• Whitechapel RoadE1
  • Mile End RoadE3
  • Bow RoadE3
To the City
To the Olympic Park
  1.  1
  2.  6
  3.  7
  4.  8
  5.  8
  6.  
  7. 11
  8.  13
  9.  14

283-5 Whitechapel Road

 

Significant Building

  • Historic period: Georgian: 1714-1810
  • This is a significant building
  • Current Use: Retail

Lord Rodneys Head was established before 1806, and in 1854 became a music hall, known as the Prince’s Hall of Varieties. The music hall closed in 1885 and the pub was probably rebuilt at this time. It had been tied to the City of London Brewery, later passing to Charrington’s Brewery and in 1986 was leased to the Banks & Taylor Brewery of Shefford, Bedfordshire. It had a very lively reputation in the 1980s and early 1990s, particularly the legendary Sunday evening performances by the Burns Brothers, a kind of karaoke act, who had everybody dancing on the tables.